Sunday 11 February 2018

Holmebrook Valley Park 11/02/18

I went down to Holmebrook Valley today for about an hour despite the horrible weather. It was drizzling, cold and worst of all very windy, which made it feel even colder. I cycled down to the lake to see if there was anything about. On the lake there was 2 Tufted Ducks (Male and female), 3 Goosanders, including 2 which landed on the lake whilst I was there, about 60 Black-Headed Gulls including some near summer plumaged birds, all 3 Mute Swans and 3 Cormorants that were on a raft in the middle of the lake. The Greylag Goose that has been on the lake since December wasn't on the lake today so I guess it has flown away. Another bird that I found was a Great Crested Grebe which has been gone since November. Its nice to see the grebe back on the lake and hopefully it will successfully breed this year.

                                                                 Great Crested Grebe

                                               Near summer plumage Black-Headed Gull
I also found a Goldcrest which came within about 5m of me by was to quick and surrounded by branches to photograph. I spent about 15 minutes trying and here's the best I managed.

 Also with the Goldcrest were a few Goldfinch and Siskin which were feeding on the ground below.

                                             The lake whilst the sun was out for 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment