Tuesday 9 October 2018

Autumn is coming!

I went down to Holmebrook Valley last Sunday and was happy to see my first Redwing flying over. I beat last years record by one day. Unfortunately as it was very quick I couldn't get a photo. I then went down to the lake and found that the Black-Headed Gulls are returning with 7 birds present. Soon there with be possibly hundreds on the lake to scan through so I will make the most of these small easy flocks whilst I can.

2 of the Black-Headed Gulls
Today the Great Crested Grebe which has spent all year since February on the lake flew almost the length of it today which shows that it could be getting ready to depart for the winter. The bird is virtually in full winter plumage now. Last year it, or a different bird, stayed until the end of October so its not got long to go.

Great Crested Grebe through some leafs
On both visits all 6 Mute Swans have been present on the lake. All 3 of this years cygnets are doing fine and last years cygnet is looking basically like and adult but with a pale bill.

Last years cygnet

Adult male Mute Swan 089 


Two of this years cygnets. Both looking very old now!









No comments:

Post a Comment